Friday, September 26, 2014

maschinen krieger / Wave - SAFS Suits Weathered Using Copic Markers and Tamiya x20-A Thinner.

Finally, almost a year later these are getting finished off.

Weathering was done with oils and Copic markers. I mentioned a few times before that I use markers when weathering. I picked this technique up from Kow's last modeling book. I think I go a little further than he demonstrates by using the Tamiya thinner and brush to manipulate the ink. The marker's ink is alcohol base, so the Tamiya X-20A works well with it. It's quite effective technique for creating rust spots and mild streaking.

Here's a snippet of what and how I use the Tamiya X-20A Thinner and Copic markers:

More or less what you'll need. The blending marker is not a must, however the thinner is.

Copic Marker- dab wherever you want it.




Load brush with Tamiya thinner and pull marker ink in the direction you wish.

And there you have it. 1, 2 and 3! Maschinen Krieger! The markers leave a gloss finish behind. To deaden it, use Eco House Natural Thin. I believe white spirits will work well too pending on the finish you're applying the marker over.